25 December 2005

Conversations

As the Christmas celebrating people are getting busy with relaxing I am back at work after a nice holiday. Yesterday I came back from Namibia which is one of my favourite places on earth. It was very nice to do some travelling after all this time spent inside. Although my work is nice it still means that instead of the African summer I spend far too much time inside of the studios and offices. One of the best things about travelling, especially if you are travelling alone is the most intriquing conversations that you have with local people and other travellers. I want to mention few of these.

One of the first people that I met in Windhoek was Dan. He was an American volunteer working as a teacher in the northern Namibia which is quite rural. We ended up spending long time reflecting our experiences and comparing the urban poverty and rural poverty and the trouble they bring just as we spend time analysing all that we love about these countries. We also talked about underground hip hop which he had a good knowledge on.

Another American who I was talking for a long time was Marie. She was just travelling. Trying to learn about what is real and what is not. She was not too keen on the mindset of the America where her friends had asked her simply "but why?" when she said she wants to travel. Now that is a strange questions no matter if you like travelling or not. In United States only 18% of the people have passports which leaves 82% of the people never even going to Canada or Mexico. Luckily the 18% more often than not seem to be really nice people.

Samantha was a half Namibian and half Angolan. I met her in the shop where she was working and she started asking about my piercings. We ended up talking for a long while and I found out that she was actually a medical student. She was about to come and finish her degree in the University Of Cape Town. I asked her what will she do after that and I must admit that I was slightly expecting her to say to work in South Africa or go to Europe, but I could not have been more wrong. She said she will return to her father's home to Angola where they really need doctors. I felt ashamed of my doubts but I was very happy to hear someone caring about their homeland and wanting to contribute for it to get better. I am not doing much of that at the moment.

Another strong part Angolan part Namibian woman who I met was Rejoice. She was working at the backpackers where I stayed so we had long conversations about life in Africa and everywhere in the world for that matter, about politics and media and the mind of a human bing. She wrote beautiful poems and taught me to play chess.

I would say that what all of these people had in common was their will to find answers and not to be satisfied with what is given. I hope to them, I came across that way as well.

No comments: