19 November 2006

I saw some film - I think.

Just coming back from cinema and it has been a while since the last time. I was first eager to see the Borat film, then what I read about it made me think that it is just offensive and now that I have seen it I must say that it is forgettable.

I was supposed to write few things about it but on the way home, in approximately 45 minutes, I forgot most of it. I laughed few times, couldn’t watch few times and wished it would end already few times. Things like that. I have seen better and I have seen worse.

There is only so much fun that I get from silly Americans and there is only so much that, as a foreigner with an accent in England for three years, I can laugh at the Englishman making funny foreign accent.

So yeah.. blaa blaa blaa.. What I actually found a bit offensive was everything around my cinema experience. As a student I paid £ 3.70 to get in which, especially on a weekend, is not too bad but then I went buying some sweets and ended up paying £ 3.80 for a small pick and mix bag. So that was the biggest investment and it really wasn’t that big bag because I had finished it before the film started.

While it may sound like I ate it very fast, that is not actually quite true either. The film was supposed to start at 19.25 and I was on my seat something like twenty past. I know that there is few trailers and adds before the actual film starts but somehow it is nice to get a good seat and just settle down; I enjoy that kind of small things and a bit of organisation. First fourteen minutes (I actually checked it because it felt a bit long) was adds. Commercials about how Coke can save me from boredom because it is exiting (it didn’t mention anything about it funding Israeli army) and how I need some big Land Rover car because that will take me to some parallel reality which they like to call beyond (they didn’t mention anything about it being more environmental to drive smaller car or how much increasingly expensive petrol the big car uses). I realised that living in this internet world, like I have done in a past few months, one gets distanced from the consumerism. Well it depends because you can pick the sites you visit. After the commercials there was ten minutes of incredibly boring looking films about Christmas, some fiction riding on that Lord of the Rings wave, a bit of a suspense and of course an American comedy. Actually all the films were American so pointing out the origin of the comedy is redundant. Some call it cultural imperialism, some just stick with good old corporate capitalism.

Now after the trailers I had already watched almost twenty five minutes of someone trying to sell me something. Then after that there were few more quick adds; Mobile phone company telling me how I should switch my phone off just this once and blaa blaa blaa. To be honest with you after watching almost half an hour of commercials and while doing so eating the most expensive bag of sweets I started to think that the cinema ticket was a rip off. In commercial TV, you don’t pay for the licence because you watch the adds, in online subscription station you don’t hear adds because you pay for the service and now there are new services from where you can download music for free if you watch some adverts while doing it and there is a new mobile phone company starting up a free service where you only have to listen to advertising but not to pay in order to chat away with your mates. You see where I am getting with this? I think you do – these cinema companies could compromise one form of generating money from the Pavlovian audiences who religiously go and see anything they are told to.

I also had a great experience on my evening of cinema. Before the film I went to the restroom and as it is really cold here and I couldn’t feel my fingers at that point, it felt really good to just put them under hot water tap. This excitement got even better with the dryer which blew some hot air to dry my hands. See, there is always something good in everything.

No comments: