19 November 2006

Photo talk

This post is about taking photos so if that is not your cup of tea I recommend you to have a quick look at the few sample photos and then maybe read the next post which is cinema related or just go about your day. If you are interested in taking photos this may be a bit simplistic; I am an amateur but generally speaking.. some good stuff in this post.

Now that I have ruled out all the readers and no one will get this far I can pretty much say anything – how liberating.

I like taking photos. I think it is great. I like visual things but I can’t draw so Potoshop and camera are my dear friends. When I am sitting in a bus, walking buying bread or doing anything I do I always do few things on side. I almost always listen to music and while doing that I hunt the good audio hooks, beats and speech clips to use in some jingle, promo or public service announcement at some point and I also scout the scenery of spots to take photographs in. These are the two things I almost never stop doing. Taking a photo sometimes takes much more effort than you would think. You find the place you think is good, you go back there with your camera when the weather and light is right, you take as many photos as you feel it takes to get a good one and then finally at home you can really see whether it is as sharp as you wanted it to be. If not you may have to go back and take a better one. I often go back and take pictures from same place to get them right – well at least sometimes I do. One of those photos that still needs to be taken again is the one from the train station that you can see if you scroll down a bit. The one with a passing train. It needs smaller ISO and longer exposure time to get the movement of the train to be more dramatic. There – I gave a way my secret.

Another one that I need to return to is this self-portrait idea that I got in a bus. I think it is getting there but I am such a poor model in photos I need to try it again and hopefully in a bit better light so it is bit sharper.



I also printed this week few images and for the first time ever I tried the a3 size. I must admit it does make the images to look quite cool. I only had time for few prints but I did the view from the Robben Island. This is an image I took few months back in Cape Town and it practically is a view that the political prisoners, including Mr Mandela, would have been seeing a lot while collecting the seaweed from the water.




Another print I did was the flyer/poster I did last week for my friend ENDZ for her album launch party. I have designed the CD covers as well so this follows the same visual concept. I didn’t have anything from that session (CD covers and other promo stuff) yet on print so it was nice to see it and it looked alright as well.


I have also done another advert recently for my radio show but because its content is not confirmed yet I can’t put it up yet. I think it is one of the coolest things I have done though. This is an advert I did for my dad not too long ago. I liked the idea of doing something that is completely different from the majority of rather dull adds you see on local papers.


I have been through few photo blogs and they seem to have this thing where they mention the camera and its model that has been used, aperture and other information and sometimes I just look at the photos and feel that the brand of the camera could have been Nokia. I am sure that it is some kind of an industry standard to list this information but I couldn’t even always tell myself from my photos. It's not always so rational. It's more like a bit more there and that and that is it. Well I guess if you care you can tell it from the image as well. That much about my photo talk. I wanted to write a bit about it because recently I have mainly posted some photos and not much texts. Feel free to continue going to my Flickr accounts here and here and also now you can check my newly re-designed radio show blog from here.


Peace and until the next one.

No comments: