5 July 2010

Linkage

VENE RANNALLA 2
Photo: trying not to let the holiday mindset to stop the things from taking place as they only must.

Time for a few links again. It’s simply too hot to do anything else here. And it has been hot for a few days in Finland. When I say hot I don’t mean hot like January in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, which in itself is no record heat either, but nonetheless a lot hotter than here ever – heat is relative. It is also a bit overrated, but I am not really here to complain about it. I am feeling quite good. Been getting a few good results. On the negative side my wife did hurt her ankle – Achilles tendon to be precise – and is walking with crutches for the moment. I am hoping it isn’t anything too bad. And finally before getting into the links I have promised you, one thing that makes me feel good is the new Akala album Doublethink which is playing in my headphones as I type. I listen to it from Spotify, but the actual physical CD is in the mail about to reach me any day now. I thought I would’ve left listening to it for when it drops to the post box, but couldn’t resist the temptation any longer. It sounds very good.

First of all, and I am very happy to see this, So Real TV is a new video blog from Cape Town, South Africa. When I say new, I really mean very new so it doesn’t yet have wealth of content, but a fistful of videos and a houseful of potential. These kind of services – namely Grime Daily and SBTV – have become tremendously important for the UK scene, and of course while there is still a long way to go for the South African Internet access, it, like everything, must eventually change, and the international exposure to some amazing artistry is inevitable. The question is how much of it and with what kind of results takes place. I really hope this will take off and have the longevity to be the most relevant platform for real musical moves. It could easily be the case.

I was so happy to see someone who I consider a friend recognised internationally. Xolile Madinda from Grahamstown and the crew called Defboyz has organised and compiled a CD full of tracks called Officially Offside and they wrote about it on Huffington Post. Very cool thing to happen. The compilation can be listened to from the Soundcloud so give it a go, why not, and for the time being listen to the first song Shame on the Game.


The last link isn’t a new one. Nothing specific has happened there just now, but it is just a cool blog should you have any interest in the continent of Africa and its concerns. It’s called Africa is a Country. You’d think that by now people would treat the beautiful continent and a diverse and multicultural collection of many kinds of countries, languages and peoples as it deserves, but I am afraid that really isn’t the case at all. I hope that the only stereotype that has been done away with during the World Cup hasn’t been that it actually isn’t always hot in Africa.

No comments: