23 September 2010

Minor Linkage

I haven’t had much time to write here. How incredibly predictable and atrociously boring starter for a blog post. But like said the last time, moving to a new place has taken a lot of time. When you leave a country and arrive to a new one the problem is that a moment after you’ve done away with most of your possessions like furniture and home electronics you find yourself looking for new ones. Unless you invest in shipping – but those fees were  pretty steep. So yeah, that’s my excuse for not having written too much here. But when I don’t have much to say, I let the music speak on my behalf. Other people’s music.

This Internet era is so great for a music fan like myself. I don’t only have access like I’ve never had before, but also I learn about artists and their art that previously I wouldn’t have. Also with the artists I already know I get to experience their art in many new ways. Last couple of days I’ve been following the recordings of  the future classic songs by Ben Sharpa and the Pioneer Unit peoples in Cape Town. They’ve been broadcasting the sessions live through their Ustream channel and I suppose they will still continue for a day or so. It made me think of a Public Enemy DVD London Invasion where there is a bit where Flavour Flav is trying to memorise some at the time brand new lyrics that now are part of the musical history known by so many people all over the world. It was a moment in history that was significant because while now we know, then at the time it wasn’t clear how important those hype raps were to become. That’s how I feel when watching the recordings of Ben Sharpa, but in a real time. And while I hope this music would play the part in history that Public Enemy has, that’s not what I’m suggesting here. The music these days for me is far more personal experience and it’s popularity has less significance one way or another. But following the recordings live is a cool thing to do. It certainly makes me feel like part of something and quite frankly that’s good enough on its own. Although the fact that the new songs sound great helps also a lot.

Another Southern African artists I’d like to mention today is Isosceles. He’s from Lesotho and with Nemesis Inc. he’s released a free EP and it is available on their Bandcamp site. There’s a youthful freshness of an underdog combined with seemingly infinite determination in the mix here – this type of stuff is my focus mode music, and normally that playlist is mainly full of Klashnekoff. The high production standard and the mixture of English and Sesotho raps create a very solid EP and I definitely recommend it. Try out the track Dream to Rap from the player. In that track instead of asteroids, metaphysics or imaginary Lexuses (is it Lexi?), Isosceles talks about parental response to his artistic ambitions. That's real life raps if anything and kind of two fingers to the appearance centric self-big-up that seems so common these days. It's my favourite song there together with Never Underestimate.

<a href="http://corporatenemesis.bandcamp.com/album/untitled-ep">Untitled EP by Corporate Nemesis</a>

Lastly, a new video out for Akala's Your's and My Children. Watch, listen and learn.

No comments: